Expanded Text Ads
From January 31st 2017, you will no longer be able to create or edit standard text ads – you will only be able to do this using the expanded text ads format (existing standard text ads will continue to run). Google have been recommending, since the launch of expanded text ads, that you use this transitional time to upgrade and make the best out of the new style of ads.
Here are just a few tips on how you can do this:
- Always make your ads relevant to the search terms that someone is entering. This means ensuring that you contain keywords within your advert.
- A/B test 4 ads per ad group, changing one thing in each ad. The extra space allows you to experiment with more text.
- If something has worked well in your standard text ads, carry that over to the expanded text ads. Don’t just dump the old ones!
- Don’t get rid of your standard text ads until the new expanded text ads are outperforming them.
- Make sure you include the most important parts of your message in the headlines of your expanded text ads. Headlines give the best opportunity to improve CTR.
- Get a compelling call to action in your ads. This may seem obvious, but it’s extremely important.